ROME, Ga. — For the second straight season, the Berry College football team will advance to the second round of the NCAA Division III playoffs courtesy of a 31-0 shutout victory over the Maryville Scots on Saturday.
The win pushed the Vikings record to 10-1 and extended their winning streak at Valhalla Stadium to 17-straight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry's defense was tough throughout the entire game, holding the Scots to just 116 yards of total offense.
- Neither team was able to score in the opening quarter, but the Vikings scored twice in the second period both on the back of Joey Connors. He caught a 22-yard pass from Heath Burchfield who took over starting duties to open scoring. He then capped a seven-play drive with a rushing score to put Berry up 14-0 at the half.
- Connors then ripped off a 74-yard score, the longest rushing touchdown in program history, in the third quarter.
- Trey Gregory tacked on a 21-yard field goal early in the fourth.
- Jordan Roman then sealed the win with an 11-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown to complete the 31-0 victory.
- Heath Burchfield: 20-36, 216 YDS, TD
- Joey Connors: 175 YDS, 3 TOT TDs
- Bryson Lamboy: 7 TKL, 1 SACK, 2 TFL
- JR Cendoya: 6 TKL, 0.5 SACK, 1.5 TFL
- Berry will travel to face No. 2 Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. ET.